Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Rejoicing in the Lord in the midst of trials; Youth Camp Day 2

Philippians 4:1-9

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Think of Excellence

Therefore, my beloved brethren [a]whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to [b]live in harmony in the Lord. Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is [c]near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all[d]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [e]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [f]dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

There is always a struggle when evangelizing. 

How Paul would've reacted when imprisoned depressed discouraged defeated and abandoned. But he...

1. Rejoice
Greek (chairo)
- to rejoice exceedingly

2. Source of Joy 

Deuteronomy 31:6

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.”

John 16:33

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
33 These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

Ephesians 1:3

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,

Letter of James 1:2
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,"

3. Let your gentleness be evident to all
Identify thing you can thank god so you will not be overwhelmed by your situations. 
Reflect the Joy of the Lord. 

Nehemiah 8:10

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
10 Then he said to them, “Go, eat of the fat, drink of the sweet, and send portions to him who has nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

4. The Lord is near

Psalm 145:18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,
To all who call upon Him in truth.

Matthew 28:20

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo,I am with you [a]always, even to the end of the age.”

Galatians 2:20

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [a]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Why cant some Christians rejoice?
A. Sin 

Psalm 51:12

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
B. lack of gratitude

Psalm 34:1

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Lord, a Provider and Deliverer.

A Psalm of David when he [a]feigned madness before[b]Abimelech, who drove him away and he departed.

34 I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
C. Lack of faith

2 Corinthians 5:7

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
for we walk by faith, not by [a]sight—

II. Be anxious for nothing...
Anxiety is experiencing worry, fear and doubt. 
"By prayer"
Prayer is drawing near to God.

Hebrews 4:16

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Pray with thanksgiving. 

As a result, think about things to thank God for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment