Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Developing intimacy with God

Developing intimacy with God. 


Intimacy - Close personal association. Belonging together. Affective connection. 

Intimacy with God - Means possessing a very close relationship with God where there is a deep fellowship, open communication and continuous spiritual growth. 

God desires us to be intimate with Him. 

Genesis 1:26

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [a]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

John 14:16-18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Role of the Spirit

16 I will ask the Father, and He will give you another [a]Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17 that is the Spirit of truth,whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

James 4:8

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded

What are the benefits of being intimate with God. 
• We discern his will easily and walk in obedience
• We experience the fruit of the spirit
• we become a constant channel of blessing to others. 
• we experience spiritual victory in all circumstances
• We grow spiritually mature

How do we develop intimacy with God 
Do you have a shallow relationship with God. 

Psalm 63:1-8

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Thirsting Soul Satisfied in God.

A Psalm of David, [a]when he was in the wilderness of Judah.

63 O God, You are my God; I shall seek You [b]earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh [c]yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You.
So I will bless You as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul is satisfied as with [d]marrow and fatness,
And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings [e]to You;
Your right hand upholds me.
1. Pursues God with all his heart. V1 
A person who is intimate with has a very strong desire for God's presence. 

2. Personally experiences God V2 
David underwent many trials and hardships in life
He trusted God and experienced God's power and Glory firsthand in each of these situation. 
His life resulted to the development of a more intimate relationship with God. 

3. Prioritizes God V3 
David experienced God so deep that he can state that the love of God is better than anything this life can offer. 
A person who is intimate with God prioritizes God above else. 

4. Praises God in all circumstances. V4
David states that he will praise the Lord as long as he lives- either in good or seemingly bad situations 

Psalm 43:5

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Why are you [a]in despair, O my soul?
And why are you disturbed within me?
[b]Hope in God, for I shall [c]again praise Him,
The [d]help of my countenance and my God.

Psalm 59:16

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength;
Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in themorning,
For You have been my stronghold
And a refuge in the day of my distress.

A person who is intimate with God praises God in all circumstances because he knows that God desires the beat for him. V6-8

5. Pleasures in God V5
A person who is intimate with God will find satisfaction in God alone. 

How do we develop intimacy with God 
1. Oneness spending time with God though our personal devotion time
Personal devotion time involves:
a. Prayer
b. Bible reading
c. Listening to God. 
We draw closer to God when we get to know God. 

2. Openness open communication and transparency
As we open our hearts to God, God also opens His heart to us. He reveals His plans for our life one at a time. And we know that his plans is always for our best interest. Be vulnerable

3. Obedience
Doing the things that pleases God and avoiding the things that displeases God. 
The more we carry out God's will and commands, the more we overcome temptation; the more we draw intimate with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment