Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Unexpected Fusions in Food.

So before I begin I'd like to give a disclaimer that I am NOT completely aware of all of these things. I will only share according to how far my knowledge goes :)

I'd like to share this passion of mine which is cooking and it was not until in class(yes thanks Ms. Dianne for making me realize it) until I said to myself yes we do play a lot with opposite things in the kitchen now that we have the technology and more people are playful and creative with their food. At this point other countries may be putting together two different kinds of food in one plate that seemingly don't work well together but if you eat it in a particular order or if you are instructed to eat in some way, you'll actually be surprised that not only do they taste good together they even look better than those typical dishes that we normally eat. But I have simple examples to share with you in this broad aspect of mixing food of opposite structure.



Oil and Egg mixtures or Oil and Vinegar/Acids - Emulsions.

We all know that oil and water don't mix well but obviously in this mixture there is no water but the other liquids and ingredients here still don't mix well with oil and require a particular way of mixing it otherwise it will break and will leave an oily mess in your mixing bowl. Same goes with vinaigrettes which most of the time doesn't mix so well. But both flavors from the oil and the vinegars used come out well and give you this sour and deep kind of flavor that both elements bring when they are mixed. 


Hot and Cold
Somehow there are ideas that have been hanging in my fingers and I can't seem to pull a good one but this one, Deep Fried Ice Cream. So the irony  of both opposites is really quite interesting although I have yet to try this one. I really think anything crispy with your dessert works extremely well which is also my other topic in a little later. So this mix of hot fried breading and really cold ice cream certainly is a hit and recently just trended as you can see its everywhere and everyone's trying to make it. Another would be souffle and ice cream in one plate. Both complete opposites but make a great dessert!





Soft and Creamy with Crunchy

Both opposites in desserts work so well. Apparently to avoid creating boring and monotonous desserts we make such combinations. I'm not a pastry chef or a baker but as an avid fan of desserts, I think this is really a perfect way of presenting desserts. I always liked crispy, breaded, something with lumpia wrapping or tuiles added to anything sweet and cold or even hot desserts. Take for example this sorbet with this tuile or panna cotta with tuile, both really simple but when made differently is really impressive and exciting when presented to you how much when your eating it already!




East and West
This has got to be the best example of opposites. Eastern cuisine fused with Western cuisines. Fusion cuisine has been out there for a long time already and it is widely used to improve a lot of cooking techniques and is a good way to impress both locals and foreigners in integrating these styles. Take for example this picture that we have right here. It's what we call a tapa which by definition in western culture is small servings of food which is famous in Spain or Portugal then infusing it with eastern influence say the use of the fish or the mussels or ingredients like spices that originally came from Asia or are widely used in Asia. This is how it works and its challenging and for food to take you in both places at one time is one of the best experiences you can have by having it in one plate wherever you may be eating it. 

Relating this to the story and the structure in regards to sets of opposites I think they both come close into telling two stories at the same time. Food and literature, in my opinion, can be interpreted or send a message in many different ways or depending on how the author or cook meant it to be.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my lord, that fried ice cream is wicked!! I'd like to try that sometime. This blog post is making me crave for dessert! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like! haha but I'm wondering If I got the whole point of sets of opposites..?:/

    ReplyDelete